Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Cocoa-and-Chile-Rubbed Pork Chops

I also got this from my recent issue of Food & Wine.

Ingredients
2 quarts water
1 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
Kosher salt
Four 1 1/2-inch-thick boneless pork loin chops
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tablespoon light brown sugar
1 tablespoon pure ancho chile powder
Extra-virgin olive oil for brushing
Slap Ya Mama or any cajun seasoning optional

I just glanced at this recipe and luckily Mr. B was late because I didn't realize I had to brine the pork chops but it made it well worth it~!


In a large bowl, combine the water with the red pepper and 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt and stir until the salt dissolves. Add the pork chops and let brine at room temperature for 1 hour.

Let me just say it was raining again! So I just cooked these on our stove on a heat of about 4 so a little lower then Med High heat.

I cooked on each side until a little crust had formed then I flipped them each one more time on a little lower heat of 3.

Light a grill and create a cool zone. (For a charcoal grill, rake the coals to one side; for a gas grill, leave one side unlit.) In a bowl, mix the cocoa, sugar and ancho powder with 1 tablespoon of salt.

Drain the pork chops and pat dry, removing any bits of crushed pepper. Brush generously with olive oil. Roll the pork chops in the cocoa rub and pat to help it adhere.

Grill over moderately high heat for 4 minutes, turning the chops once or twice until lightly browned. Transfer the chops to the cool zone, cover and grill for about 15 minutes, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center of the chops registers 135° for medium meat.

Let the chops rest for 10 minutes before serving

I would go light on the dry rub because in some areas it was too much but these came out great and Mr. B loved them. Success!

No comments: