Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Classic Chicken Noodle Soup

I got this recipe from allrecipes.com

Fast Chicken Base
2 Quarts (8 C) Chicken Broth
1 Quart (4 C) Water
1 Store bought Rotisserie Chicken
3 tbl Vegetable Oil
2 Lg Onions (original recipe called for cut into medium pieces but I cut between small and med)
2 Lg Carrots, peeled and cut int circles. (I used 2 Lg and 1 med)
2 Lg Celery Stalks, sliced 1/4 inch thick (I again used 2 Lg and 1 med)
1 Teaspoon dried Thyme Leaves (I didn't have any)

Rest of the Ingredients
3 C Egg Noodles
1 C Frozen Peas
1/2 C Chopped Fresh Parsley
S&P to taste.

This said it was for 8 servings but I think it's more like 12-14.


Bring broth and water to a simmer over Med-High heat.
Meanwhile separate meat from skin and bones. Reserve meat.
Add in skin and bones to simmering broth.
Reduce heat to low. Let simmer 20-30 minutes. (I let simmer about 20 minutes would recommend doing 30).

Strain broth in a colander; reserve the broth and discard skin and bones.
Add oil into pot. Add in onions, carrots, and celery. Saute until soft about 8-10 minutes.

Add chicken, broth, and thyme. Bring to simmer.

Add in Egg Noodles (I actually added about 4.5 C because I love noodles)
Simmer about 15 more minutes.

Stir in 1 C of frozen peas. I added in about 1.5 C's because I thought pea's were the vegetable that my husband eats.....he doesn't....he picked them all out! ha ha But I really enjoyed them. You can definitely omit.

Also add in fresh parsley.

Add in S&P to taste. I added in a lot of Pepper and I added in Slap Ya Mama because it was kind of bland. I think because I only simmered the skin and bones for 20 minutes made the difference too.

I think that having a lot of vegetables did take a way from the chicken taste as well so next time I'll only do what it called for because my husband didn't like it that vegetabley even though I did.

No comments: